CRIM 413 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Social Inequality, Relative Deprivation, Kurdistan Workers' Party

95 views3 pages

Document Summary

Group believes that by using terrorist tactics, they can create a political chance sometimes they see terrorism as their last resort. Different types of causes: political, socio-economic, cultural, psychological: relative deprivation what happens in my group in relative to the dominant group. Terrorism is considered to be the weapon of the weak i. e. repressed minorities. In some cases, terrorism has been used by part of the elite i. e. red army faction/baader- According to crenshaw, there are two types of factors preceding a terrorist attack preconditions (have existed for a long time underlying causes) and precipitants (situations or special events that immediately precede terrorist activity trigger) Preconditions = modernization: structural - institution of political, socio-economic, pre-existing long time. Political grievances include for example: majority group represses minority groups i. e. kurds in turkey, minority governments majorities may not feel accurately represented or are repressed. Middle east one of their main political grievances (i. e. bin lade(cid:374)(cid:859)s state(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts a(cid:271)out.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers