Physical Education, Recreation and Leisure Studies
Jan 11 – PERLS 104 Review
• Social Construction – unwritten social conventions of beliefs, ideas,
norms and values of society.
• Neoliberalism – a political philosophy that is adopted by the western
world that says government should be run like a business. When
government is run like a government, it is bad. If govt is run like a
business, excess will be eliminated. Govt departments that don’t do
necessary work will be cut. Services cant be given out for free. Ex.
Snow scraping is done minimally because it doesn’t bring in money for
the city. Neoliberalism stresses that you be responsible for your own
life. Neoliberalism is based on you personally working to be successful.
If you don’t become successful, you are responsible for that
• Capitalism – the economic side of the govt
• Free market ideology – govt shouldn’t intervene. Govt doesn’t regulate
the economy and just lets it run.
• Individualism - is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social
outlook that emphasizes "the moral worth of the individual". Individualists
promote the exercise of one's goals and desires and so value independence and
self-reliance while opposing external interference upon one's own interests
by society or institutions such as the government
• Discourse – a way of knowing. The way of knowing and doing. Its about
action and doing. Discourse is specific, a certai