Jan 9 – Essentials of Athletic Injury Management Chap 1
Chap 1: Fitness Professionals, Coaches, and the Sports Medicine Team:
• There is a growing demand for well educated professionally trained personnel
to supervise and oversee recreational sport and physical activity
• These include: coaches, fitness professionals, recreation specialists, athletic
• Others interested in various aspects of exercise and sports science
• Coaches should have an understanding of injury management
Injury Is a Part of Athletics
• Athletes have a right to expect that those that are overseeing them, view
their health and safety as a priority
• Its Critical to have individuals that are aware of both treatment and
• As a member of the sports medicine team, we should be concerned about the
athletes health and well being
• If you are a coach that doesn’t have an equipment manager or athletic
therapist, those roles fall onto the coach
• Well-trained professionals aren’t always healthcare professionals and may be
in violation if they attempt to provide treatment and care
• Being a coach doesn’t mean you cant diagnose or rehab an injury
• When dealing with injured athletes, as a coach you can provide taping
support, bracing, referral to a doctor.
• As a coach you should put the injured athletes dislocated body part in a sling
before sending them to a doctor
What is Sports Medicine?
• Sports medicine refers to a broad field of healthcare related to physical
activity and sport • Defined by American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) as multidisciplinary
approach to health management or achievement of full potential
• Clinical application in these areas is aimed at improving and maintaining
functional capacities for physical labour, exercise and sports
• Sports medicines generally focuses on areas of performance enhancement,
injury care, prevention and management
• It involves biomechanics and sport psych.. involves all aspects of sports
• The main goal of sports medicine is to prevent and treat any diseases or
injuries sustained by athletes
Areas Of Specialization that focus primarily on Performance Enhancement
• Exercise physiology
• Biomechanics – design of equipment is studied.
• Sports psychology – THERE to motivate athletes who are injured and let them
know things will get better
• Sports nutrition – there to tell athletes what is the right stuff to eat.
• Strength and conditioning – there to strength train athletes.
• Personal fitness training – same as strength and conditioning. However,
personal training is generally geared to the general population, not just to
• Physical education
Some are concerned with both performance and injury management
Areas of Specialization that focus on healthcare and injury/illness
• Practice of medicine (physicians and physician assistants) – generally at
games. They have the final say when athletes can return from injury.
• Athletic training • Sports physical therapy – geared towards rehab of injury.
• Massage therapy
• Dentistry - used for creating molds for mouth guards. Also used for repairing
lost teeth in athletes
• Osteopathic medicine
• Sport podiatry – has to do with making insoles
• Orthotist/ prosthetis