ECON 203 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: National Income And Product Accounts, Investment Banking, Autarky

114 views2 pages
Verified Note

Document Summary

Chapter 8 saving, investment and the financial system. Investment banks: unlike commercial banks, investment bank customers are generally institutions with large amounts of funding. Mutual funds: pool (cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455) fo(cid:396) people a(cid:374)d i(cid:374)(cid:448)est fo(cid:396) the(cid:373). Saving and investment in the national income accounts. Accounting: refers to how various numbers are defined and added up. National income accounts include, in particular gdp and many related statistics. The government and policy makers use accounting as a means to examine how the economy is doing. Gdp (or y) = consumption (c) + investment (i) + govt. In a closed economy y c + i + g. Let(cid:859)s (cid:373)o(cid:448)e co(cid:374)su(cid:373)ptio(cid:374) a(cid:374)d go(cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t spe(cid:374)di(cid:374)g to 1 side: y c g (national saving) = i. National saving is the total income in the economy that remains after paying for consumption and government purchases. G = (y c t) + (t g) When t = g: balanced (most cases, it is not balanced. )

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers