PSYC 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, Morris Water Navigation Task, Peripheral Nervous System

10 views5 pages

Document Summary

Central nervous system: brain and spinal cord (makes decisions for body) Peripheral nervous system: connects with cns (muscles, glands and sensory receptors) (sends and receives info) Sympathetic: arouses (fight/flight) i. e. dilates pupils, accelerates heart rate. Parasympathetic: calms (rest/digest) i. e. blood returns to core. Spinal reflexes do not involve brain (signal goes straight to body part with reflex from the spinal cord) Spinal reflex makes you respond to things faster. Number of structures controlling behavior, voluntary and involuntary. 2 hemispheres (left/right) number of structures within and beneath. Insights from brain damage: happens when part of brain isn"t working properly (case studies, lesioning, electrical stimulation, etc. ) Case studies: when a stroke or injury damages part of brain, we have a chance to see the impact i. e. phineas (pole through brain and lived) Lesioning: purposely taking out a piece of brain-only on animals i. e. morris water maze. Electrical stimulation: parts of brains stimulated electronically, results of giggling, head turning, etc.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers