PSYC 2310 (443)
Saba Safdar (370)

February 12.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 2310
Saba Safdar

February 12, 2013 – PSYCH2310 - LECTURE Persuasion Principles of Social Influence (From Chapter 7) Method of Investigation - controlled experiment o advantage: provides context for addressing whether or not an effect is real and which theoretical account explains it. o Disadvantage: eliminate other sources of influence - Participant observation o Researcher becomes an observer and participant of the situation and learn the dynamic of the setting Six Principles of Social Influence - Robert Cialdini found that the key to successful influence is what we do before attempting to influence - Deliver entire skit of why product is good and the advantages all in one breath without a natural pause, no one can interrupt – our members of society have no other choice but to listen. First Principle - [1] reciprocation o we don’t know a culture or society around the world who does not follow the reciprocation rule o if I invite you to my birthday, I expect you to invite me to yours. o If I give you a favour, I expect you to return that favour at some point. o Those who do not reciprocate, we call them users or moochers. We don’t like to me surrounded by people who take but do not return. It applies to every culture and to every behaviour. o If I disclose to you, I expect you to disclose to me. If someone is aggressive, aggression is returned. If I am kind to you, kindness is expected in return. o Complying with a request of someone who has previous provided a favour. o When you love someone and they do not love you back, that is the worst kind of human interaction and worst feeling you could get. o Study by Berry and Kanouse  Physicians to complete a long survey  Two groups  On cover page, we say if you complete, we will pay you $20  Other half of participants, cheque was already attached to the question but please fill out the survey.  People who received cheque along with questionnaire – a lot more likely to fill out survey and send back then the participants who did not receive a cheque right off the bat.  Example: the ones Mom gets in the mail from Easter Seals – the mail labels. Maybe not the first time you use it, maybe not the second, but a percentage of people will end up helping the organization. February 12, 2013 – PSYCH2310 - LECTURE  THESE ARE EFFECTIVE METHODS!  It’s called door-in the face technique (or reciprocal concessions procedure)  Reciprocation creates responsibility and obligation  Example: boys family gets card from Santa Barbara, family doesn’t know anyone there – first yea ignored it, second year and so on sent a holiday card back – wen boy goes to university, they called the Jones’ in Santa Barbara to host their son when he goes to university. They did.  STUDY: o (1) Are you willing to chaperon juvenile delinquency to the zoo for one day?  Majority said no  17% said yes (1) Are you willing to give 3 hours of your time every week for two years to juvenile delinquent? (2) Are you willing to chaperon juvenile delinquent to the zoo for one day? - 50% said no 50% said yes Second Principle - [2] social validation - complying with a request if it is consistent with what similar others are thinking or doing - based on Social Comparison Theory (Festinger)
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2310

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.