Lecture #12 (03/30/2009)
The Road to Theoretical Integration
Presents 5 dimensions,
Evaluating Core Philosophies
1) Freedom or determinism?
[Related idea: conscious or unconscious?]
2) Biological or social influences?
[Related idea: heredity or environment?]
3) Uniqueness or universality of character?
4) Proactive or reactive behavior?
[Related: teleology or causality?]
5) Optimistic or pessimistic?
[Related idea: plastic or plaster development?]
Example: Sigmund Freud
1) Deterministic; unconscious influences people have little choice in what they do
2) Mostly biological; early life experience key
3) Biological similarities and social differences
4) Largely reactive drive reduction
5) Generally pessimistic (especially later) Evaluating T