SOC 1500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Child Neglect, Reaction Formation, Anomie

5 views2 pages

Document Summary

October 13, 2016: societal pressures produce anomie, which can lead to crime. Institutionalized means: modes of adaptation to strain, a(cid:272)(cid:272)ordi(cid:374)g to merto(cid:374)"s theory, the i(cid:374)(cid:374)o(cid:448)ators are (cid:373)ost likely to result i(cid:374) (cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)al behavior. Cohe(cid:374)"s su(cid:271)(cid:272)ultural strai(cid:374) theory: middle class measuring rod, reaction formation. Agnew identified three types of strain: 1. Removal (or threat to remove) positively valued stimuli. Criminal behavior could occur to prevent this loss, trying to replace valued stimuli that was lost, attempt to get revenge: 3. Presentation (or expected presentation) of negative or harmful stimuli. Delinquency caused by our inability to achieve goals, neutralize or remove negative stimuli, or protect stimuli. Self-blame, and worry about effects respond with anger. Blame others, less concerned about of behavior hurting others. Property and violent crime disorders, cutting) hugely stereotypical. According to agnew, not everyone copes with strain by engaging in criminal behavior; rather, other factors may result with one coping with strain through crime.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers