LING 2200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Linguistic Prescription, Phonological Rule, Linguistic Performance

31 views4 pages

Document Summary

Refers to what we know about language (knowledge of language) We have to make a clear distinction between linguistic competence and linguistic performance: performance: what you actually say, presumably derives from competence. Most of it is subconscious (we are not aware we know about) Sometimes referred to as i-language (i= internal: the guy [i saw] relative clause. Includes all aspects of structure (phonological, morphological, and syntactic) English has borrowed the vast majority from other languages a lot of french phrases: in french adjectives follow the noun, ex) governor general, attorney general noun followed by an adjective, pluralized: governors general. Internalized a rule system (that is abstract and complicated) * lexicon: one part of language that continues to grow along the life time (this: the sound, they will often substitute alveolar stop [dv] slows down, but i continues) Is innate knowledge language particular no, we learn whatever language we are exposed to.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers