PHIL 1200 (82)
Lecture 75

PHIL 1200 Lecture 75: Lecture 75

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Manitoba
PHIL 1200
David R.Hampton

lP78R The categorical Imperative is something we all share as [art of our rationality. In fact it is because we all have a sense of absolute imperatives that we have a conception of morality. And all this comes from the fact that we have a will. What dos this Categorical Imperative prescribe? First Formulation “Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it should become the universal law” What does this mean? When you act you should not think “how will this action serve my goal of gaining more pleasure/happiness etc.?” Rather, you should think “would I want a world where everyone did what I am doing right now?” If the answer is yes, then you should perform the action (you are obliged to perform it) If the answer is no, you should refrain from it Kant’s examples of the Imperative Suicide: we should not make it a universal law that people hurt themselves Returningloans:theuniversallawrequirespeopletoret
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.