Class Notes (808,756)
Canada (493,380)
Sociology (166)
SOC 1200 (131)
Lecture 37

SOC 1200 Lecture 37: Lecture 37

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Manitoba
SOC 1200
Susan Miller

o78P o Need education to have any shot at a good career o Good education is expensive Education is dealt with provincially  We only pay for 40% of our tuition Provincial government pays the other 60% Universities are significantly made from upper/middle class students (from upper/middle class families) Money used to subsidize university tuition coes from taxes that EVERYONE pays, not only upper/middle class  4) Ethnicity Discrimination, racism, prejudice o Programs instated to make sure those that are hired, reflect the population that they will work to serve o = affirmative action programs  opposed largely by white men (“reverse discrimination”) o Canada needs immigration since our fertility rates have gone down o Fire department still tends to be overwhelmingly made up of white males Gender Stratification Feminist Theory  Critical theory  “the personal is political” Misogyny (misogynist) – refers to hatred of women 1989 l’ecole politechnique, Marc Lapin – hot 14 women  hate crime – hatred towards women Double-day/double-shift – after coming home from work, must begin working the home When men come home, they are done for the day Notion of education: as education level goes up, there tends to be more equality in p
More Less

Related notes for SOC 1200

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.