New Directions: Trudeau and Mulroney
February-04-13 9:27 AM
Détente and the Return of the Cold War
Strengthening THE Bilateral Relationship
- With the election of Trudeau by Canadians, we see the beginning of change
and continuation in Canadian foreign policy.
- We have different types of things happening?
- There is also a great amount of continuity between Pearson, Trudeau and
○ Trudeau keeps us in NORAD and NATO.
○ Trudeau renews our commitment to NATO.
- In terms of the process of foreign policy, under Trudeau, we see:
○ The beginning of the centralization of power in the PMO.
○ In a movement away, in many respects, from Parliamentary democracy.
At some point, we will move towards the idea of electing a dictator
(prime minister with majority government).
In many ways, we are harkening back to the days of a king being in
- Ivan Head was a special assistant to Trudeau on foreign policy
○ "Kissinger of the North"
There is a slight connection to Henry Kissinger (U.S.) because he
was an advisor to Nixon and… so was Ivan Head.
□ He was working outside traditional areas.
The big deal about this guy was that he was "making" foreign policy.
Sending this special assistant in place of an external affairs minister
or foreign affairs minister was undercutting tradition.
○ The problem with Ivan Head?