Animal cell biotechnology
- Two aspects to it, maintenance and growth
- Have to start cell culture and then grow it.
o In vitro = taking pieces of tissue cells from an organism and pop them into something
plastic and glass to be able to maintain them, may not grow though. Still considered cell
- Production of something that’s economically useful. Using yeast = easy to work with.
- Ecoli = easy
Cell cultures used for number of reasons
- Initially it was used for virology and immunology
o Use cultures to produce vaccines
o Also for cancer biology
7 types of basic research can be done as well
- Biochem, molec bio, nutrition, endocrinology, immuno, physio, developmental bio.
- Besides experimental advantages listed above, the use of animal cell cultures is generally being