Philosophy (200)
PHIL 101 (26)

Epistemology P1

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
PHIL 101
Christopher Stephens

Epistemology The study of knowledge, evidence and rationality Philosophical Skepticism: Denies that we have much knowledge, or at all and questions the validity of evidence and judgment. P1: In order to know something, it must be impossible to be mistaken. P2: It’s always possible to be mistaken about P (for all a posteriori claims) Dreams? C: Hence, one doesn’t know any a posteriori P. If X is a necessary condition for Y (If Y, then X) If X is a sufficient condition for Y (If X than Y) Ex. Studying hard is a necessary condition for getting an A, if I got an A, then I studied hard, necessarily. If studying hard is sufficient for getting an A, if I study hard, than I will get an A. Justified True Belief (JTB): Account for knowledge and also the necessary and sufficient conditions for knowledge. S knows that P if and only if (1) P is true (2) S believes P (3) S has evidence for P (1) and (2) are not sufficient for knowledge. True beliefs without evidence are NOT knowledge. Lucky guesses do not count as knowledge*. Gettier: argues that all (1), (2) and (3) are not sufficient for knowledge and comes up with his own counter example for JTB. Smith works in an office and has a generally reliable boss named Jones. One day, Jones comes into the office and says, “Mary will get the promotion” Smith believes: a) Mary will get the promotion, Smith also discovers that Mar
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.