THE EMERGENCE OF POSITIVISM
Auguste Compte (1798-1857)▯
Three stages of society’s evolution:
- Theological: Religion and the supernatural.
- Metaphysical: Transition stage, discourse of ideas start to replacee the supernatural
explanation of the past.
- Positive: Far removed from religious explanation and metaphysical explanation.
Science. Start to get to big question of “WHY do people engage in criminal
What is Positive Criminology?|
- Modern school
- Begins in second half of 19 century.
- Science takes hold in Europe.▯
- Underlying question is “why” ▯
- They don’t just want answers on a supernatural level. They want to know why crimi-
nals commit the crimes. Then they can predict when they commit crimes, so they can
be able to prevent the crimes. ▯
- Method: - Scientiﬁc
- Paradigm: - Framework that shares set of assumptions
- Within paradigm you can have different theories
- 3 strains: 1. Biological, 2. Sociological 3. Psychological
What are the basic characterist