Lecture 8 (Health)
Key terms & Concepts:
A state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of
disease/infirmity. It is a general sense of well being in elements of life.
b. mental health
- Psychological state of someone functioning at a satisfactory level of emotional and
- More than the absence of mental illness. There’s a stigma associated with it.
- Having a mental health problem can negatively impact you and those around you.
- A study with 2 visions: Brain chemistry (Biology of brain) vs psychosocial (Personal and past
social stresses). Increase in number of mental health patients means there’s something
wrong with the overall society.
c. mortality rate
The number of deaths occurring in a given population at risk during a specified time period.
Normally deaths per 1000’s persons per month/per year.
Rates of incidence of a disease
- The treatment of disease by professionals
Health: changes over time
Understanding changes in:
- Patterns in morbidity and mortality
- Conceptions of health and care
- Health care delivery
Determinants of Health
Individual level determinants of health:
1. Lifestyle behaviour & choices :