January 28 Session: Leila Abouzaid “The Last Chapter”
• Leila Abouzaid is a radio hostess personality. She didn’t have a creative writing
background. And this is not common for Arab women writers.
• Its weakness from a writing perspective, but gives a voice to Moroccan Arabic
writer into English.
• Translated by friends who agreed to write it in English so it may be heard. Editing
process was very poor, very amateur.
• Sense of urgency to justify why Aisha doesn’t get married. So many suitors, but
didn’t get married.
• Urgency reflective of how any women who was not married from that society
would feel. Especially if she’s an intellectual and has education.
• Reflects sense of desperation of a woman in her society. Society struggling in
west and east. More European, or more eastern. Reference to