GGRB13 Lecture 7: Invisible City documentary (30 October 2013)
While watching documentary:
- Visibly engage with it
- Look at race, age, class, gender, etc.
Assignment 2 Movie Review Suggestions
- Demonstrate accurate, analytical reading and strong personal response
- Not only the WHAT, but the SO WHAT
- Highly subjective, opinion driven
- Describe, analyze, and express
- What is the director’s viewpoint, purpose?
- What is the director’s main points? Evidence?
o How is it viewed?
- How does the style influence the context?
- How complete is the argument? Where are the gaps?
o Neglections? Questions? What’s there?
- How successful was the movie?
- Take note of not just what you see, but how you feel while watching the documentary
Being critical isn’t just about criticism
- What does the documentary highlight, what does it neglect?
- What does it do exceptionally well?
- Does it reflect the themes of the course?
- Does it give voice to its subjects?
- ‘I think they did this well, but what about this?’
- Can have criticism, but be critical about it
- Not unmediated fact
o Mediated through director and producer
o Through a lens with a particular vision (What’s included? What’s not?)
- Cities – planner’s viewpoints
- We can manipulate the environment
- Ex. Regent P