Week 12 GGRC40
Sanitation of Mumbai
- Funded by World Bank
- Supernational corporation getting involved with the SSP
- A) Governance system within local system to run the sanitiation program
- B) fees to use them
o Really good governance in Megacity
o We have institution, local governance, and a good program for this to
- Not given by the state but provided by communities for communities
- In our city, we are not engaged in this type of governance. Our governance
structure is different from Mumbai sanistation
- Money goes back to the loans to the WB and to the function of the infrastructure
Slum dwellers used to get those service for free through voting a certain
-Slum dwellers used to get this for free.
Changes the way cities are governed.
Citizenship got to do with it?
- Governance is often about who gets deleted as a citizen and who doesn’t
- Citizen – who belongs? Certain set of rights by belonging in a nation state
- In urban level, no statiotary set of legal rights
- But urban scholars say: NO. its more than that.
- Citizenship is more than just by law
o When we think about belonging, citizenship is just more than just who
is a national
o If you want to know what citizenship is really about, think of de facto (
by habit or by practice)
o Citizenship needs to be thought through by habit or by practice
Someone who has access to the city from the way they look
The right to the city is really important. Who actually really
belongs and who has access to public space. Who can make
difference or not
Indigeous woman from Latin America, who walks into a lobby in Cancun
Staff saw her clothing and looked like a bit out of place 4-5 members said shes not allowed there and ushered out.
o Thought she was homeless woman
She is actually a nobel peace prize winner and a rights advocate
o Citizen de facto