For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
ECO320H1 t Economic Analysis of Law (November 25th 2009)
- Cause & mens rea (criminal intent)
- Murder t cause harm likely to cause death, cause death t must have intent to murder
- Criminal negligence causing death
- Tort = victim of tort brings lawsuit
- Public harm/injury = e.g. cyclist gets hit, affects all other cyclists (?)
o Our enjoyment of life is diminished when harm is caused
- Prosecution = officer of the crown
- Plaintiff is the state (state = government)
- Rehabilitation => correctional facilities (e.g. pick up job skills)
- Difference between prevention and deterrence
o When defendant is locked up, prevented from harming others
o Offender is prevented from committing crimes against the public
o Even though there is no deterrence/rehab, still locked up and restricted from commiting
- Retribution = revenge (prosecuted should suffer)
- Legal wage rate t what would have been eared legally
o The higher the rate, the lower the probability of crime
o Hourly income arising from illegal activities t look at time spent form illegal activities
and determine the benefits
o + legal consequences
- Are criminals rational?
- What do they maximize?
- ...most relevant?
Slide 6: (CENSUS tract data)
- Different for every census tract