POL207Y1 Lecture Notes - Incrementalism, Treaty Establishing The European Defence Community, Mass Society
52 views2 pages
• Historical trajectory of European States (j. Bodin)
- Define Sovereign (supreme authority)
- Divine Right of Monarch/Natural
-Centralized , unitary polity
•Federalism as opposing principle of political organization (J. Altheusius)
- Covenant or Pact
-Faith and trust
-Unity in diversity : self -rule+shared rule
- Political Ideology
-Union of states
2) Analyse its value and influence in post-war Europe
- Influential movement (ideas)
- Ventotene Manifesto (1941)
-European Union of Federalists (1946)
The Hague Congress, (1948) (politics)
- Project of "European Union"
Churchill and the "united states of Europe"
• Unionists vs . Federalists - they are mostly english
- Intergovernmental cooperation
-Council of Europe (The Hague Congress)
- European Defence community (EDC)
European Political Community (EPC)
3) Identify the 3 varieties of federalism of federalism and their implications
for European integration
1) Altiero Spinelli and 'democratic radicalism'
-political institutions are the starting point for integration
-popularly endorsed treaty (constitution)
2. Jean Monett and " incrementalism"
- concrete, gradual steps ( functionalism )
-Federal Europe is the final step of integration
3. Personal or integral federalists
- place of the person in capitalist mass society
- isolation, anonymity and lack of meaning
- radical transformation of politics (utopian)
4) Analyse the relation between federalism and the constitutional evolution
of the EU
▪Monnett's strategy of "issue avoidance'
- Impressive achievements
▪Role of Solidarity
▪Democratic deficit and people's participation
▪From treaty to Constitution ?
FRACE AND NETHERLANDS HEART OF INTEGRATION