Study Questions (Plato, 344c)
- Polemarchus claims in order to be just, you need to know friends from enemies. Do we know? What are the
difficulties in understanding friends from enemies? Which Socrates takes aim?
- What sense does it make to claim as Socrates does that a just man would never hurt anyone?
- Thrasymachus-his significance=plays the accuser of Socrates; he foreshadows accusations which results in
Socrates’s condemnation and death.
- Of who does Thrasymachus accuse him? (Incompetence)
- What does Thrasymachus mean by irony? (337a) Agree or disagree?
- Is Socrates seeker of truth who ‘knows nothing’? Is he a hustler of life of mind?
- Agree/disagree with Thrasymachus understanding of justice (338-339a)? Does Socrates agree/disagree?
- Plato doesn’t have one specific view; question of justice-not one specific idea/view
- Need to take all perspectives into account
- Clash of ideas, therefore different opinions
- Understanding of world through clashes of ideas presenting diffe