RLG341H1 Lecture Notes - Civil Marriage, Prosperity Theology, Haskalah
13 views3 pages
February 11, 13
- Outstanding Jewish representative of the enlightenment – one of
the primary voices behind Jewish emancipation. – At 14 went to be
a Rabbi in Berlin
- Haskalah – Jewish enlightenment (Maskilim – enlightener/someone
who is becoming enlightened.
- Emancipation – Jews becoming citizens – The journey from tradition
to modernity (filters its values from its past). Modernity says, it’s an
- Widespread of Jewish abandonment (not conversion but reforming).
– The practice and belief did not make them want to convert.
- Reform Judaism
- Don't regard Israel as their home – the place they were born.
- Be a Jew in the home and a man in the street – Judah Gordon
- Jewish integration in society – the breakdown of the Kehilla
- Mendelssohn – Wrote Phaedon
- Established his reputation.
- Defeats Kant in an essay contest to see what enlightenment contest.
- Most of his children converted to Lutheranism.
- Translated the Torah into German.
- Wrote another book called, Jerusalem.
- You are ought to be loyal to the state which grants you rights. –
- Getting rid of Herem
- Get rid of any religious autonomy.
- A belief that people can opt in or opt out.
- Argues for the separation between Church and state.
- The state shapes relationship between human beings – both are
designed to improve people’s lives.
- Reward after life if you are good in this life and the opposite.
- “Be open to non-Jews – things are changing”
- “Don’t segregateyourselves.
- Regard yourself as a German, Engliish, French… wtc….s
- Preaching – Prosperity Gospel – Bring Jews in, the money for the
state will increase and they wont cause a problem.
- Not pushing a philosophical view of emancipation.
- Mendelsohn writes in support of Dohm, a counter to Michelis.
- Political Zionism – G-d isn’t going to send the messiah we have to
have a land for our own.
- Jews give their loyalty to places that take them in.
- The revolution to Jews have seen that it was possible
Outstanding jewish representative of the enlightenment one of the primary voices behind jewish emancipation. At 14 went to be a rabbi in berlin. Haskalah jewish enlightenment (maskilim enlightener/someone who is becoming enlightened. Emancipation jews becoming citizens the journey from tradition to modernity (filters its values from its past). Widespread of jewish abandonment (not conversion but reforming). The practice and belief did not make them want to convert. Don"t regard israel as their home the place they were born. Be a jew in the home and a man in the street judah gordon. Jewish integration in society the breakdown of the kehilla. Defeats kant in an essay contest to see what enlightenment contest. Most of his children converted to lutheranism. You are ought to be loyal to the state which grants you rights. A belief that people can opt in or opt out. Argues for the separation between church and state.