Questions of Time and Ethics
• Archaeology allows us a means of access to the human past
• Archaeology enables us to read the traces of the past that exist with us in the
• In Canada, archaeology is considered a subfield of anthropology
• Anthropologists study the diversity of human experience
• Archaeologists can be employed as curators in museums.
Cultural Resource Management
Excavating and surveying areas in advance of impending construction.
Preserve our heritage in the face of development.
• Other archaeologists work in various branches of the gov’t.
• Other archaeologists found work in law enforcement, prohibiting illegally traded
artifacts and halting illegal excavation.
• Archaeologists contribute to the development of forensic science
• 8 principles of archaeological ethics by The Society forAmerican
Stewards are caretakers and advocates who work for the benefit of
The archaeological record is irreplaceable, and archaeologists are
responsible for acting as stewards, working for long-term
conservation and protection of the archaeological record.
Archaeologists are accountable to the public and must make an
effort to consult actively with all groups affected by their research
Archaeologists should discourage and avo