Classical Studies 2300 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Panhellenic Games, Epidaurus, Hot Tub

78 views7 pages

Document Summary

No restriction to olympic athletes entering other athletic events. Most athletes were amateurs in the sense that it was not their profession, but they made lots of monetary gains and rewards. Most of the competitors at this time did not support themselves by competing. It says isthmia, the shield of argos (shield games) and the person put panethaniac games prize here. At this time, the crown games were diminishing in importance and needed aid from roman empire and wanted to be remembered for competing. That is why the panethaneic prize is shown first. Chrematitic would be given something of intrinsic value a calf something of money value. At least 19 games in athens alone honouring gods where money was given to those in the community through small sporting festivals. This is not uncommon to competitions hosted even in local ontario. Militar(cid:455) or (cid:272)i(cid:448)i(cid:272)all(cid:455) (cid:373)i(cid:374)ded (cid:272)o(cid:373)petitio(cid:374)s are see(cid:374) i(cid:374) (cid:862)(cid:373)o(cid:374)e(cid:455)(cid:863) ga(cid:373)es.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers