Foods and Nutrition 1021 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Gluconeogenesis, Overconsumption, Kwashiorkor

13 views9 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 6: the proteins & amino acids (continued) The roles of protein in the body: ee table 6. 2: (cid:862) u(cid:373)(cid:373)ar(cid:455) of functions of protei(cid:374)s(cid:863, upporti(cid:374)g growth & maintenance. Build new tissues (blood, muscle, scar tissue, hair, nails, skin, rbc, intestinal lining, etc. ) Protein turnover: continuous breakdown, growth, and repair of body proteins involving the recycling of aa and those supplied by diet. Roles of protein in the body: buildi(cid:374)g enzymes, hormones, other compounds. Enzymes: protein (cid:272)atal(cid:455)sts; facilitate specific chemical reactions inside the body. Hormones: messenger molecules: th(cid:455)roid hormone (regulates body metabolism, thyroxine from tyrosine (regulates bmr, i(cid:374)suli(cid:374) & glucagon (maintain blood glucose levels) Other compounds: epi(cid:374)ephri(cid:374)e & norepinephrine from tyrosine (relay messages to nervous system, mela(cid:374)i(cid:374) from tyrosine (for skin, hair, eye color, eroto(cid:374)i(cid:374) (brain neurotransmitter) & niacin (vitamin b3) from tryptophan. Roles of protein in the body: buildi(cid:374)g antibodies. Designed to destroy specific invaders (bacteria, virus, toxin, allergen) Molecular memory underlies principles of immunization (lifelong, boosters)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers