Philosophy 1200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 30: Universal Generalization, Inductive Reasoning, Sample Size Determination

9 views4 pages

Document Summary

From a number of particular instances conclude that the next particular instance will have the same the property. (250) every cedar tree i"ve been near has a distinctive smell. The next cedar tree i"m near will have that same smell. To evaluate simple enumerations consider: number of entities, variety of entities, premise and conclusion strength: the stronger the premises are the stronger the argument is. This weakens the argument: the premise is quite strong since it is true of every cedar tree i"ve encountered and not just some of them. The conclusion is also strong, so we might want to add some qualification. We might conclude with a qualification that the conclusion is likely if the next tree is on. From a particular observation draw a universal conclusion. Conclusion: n% of all fs are gs. (251) 4% of canadians polled say they are voting for the green party. Therefore, 4% of all canadians are voting for the green party.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers