CV.doc

3 Pages

Department
Physiology
Course Code
Physiology 3120
Professor
Tom Stavraky

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
- 70% venous system, 15% heart and lungs, 10% arterial system, 5% Capillary Exchange
- Blood to individual muscles can increase as much as 20-fold.
Mitral Valve – Left heart, between the atrium and ventricle. Aortic Valve – Left heart Tricuspid Valve –
Right heart Pulmonary Valve – Right heart
- Mitral and tricuspid are referred to as the antriventricular valves while the aortic and pulmany
valves are often referred to as the semilunar valves.
Two types of cells in the heart:
(1) Atrial and ventricular muscle fibers
a. Rhythmicity (Self-excitability)
(2) Specialized excitatory and conductive cells.
a. Rapid conduction
b. T-tubules are larger and run along Z-dics and are fewer
c. Large amounts of mitochondria
d. Capable of extracting 80% of oxygen from blood
e. In syncytium
i. Atrial syncytium and ventricular syncitium. Seperated by fibrous tissue called the
atrioventricular ring.
- 72 beats/min in vivo. Originated at SA node. Great sodium
and calcium permeability. Potassium declines during diastole
while the permeability for other ions does not change. Do not
have a stable RMP.
- Prepotential: Na+ goes through funny channels and Ca++
through T-type channels.
- Depolarization: slow L-type channels
- Repolarization: Calcium channels closing and potassium
opening.
- Rate can be altered by changing the slope of the prepotential or the ‘resting’ mp.
- SA node activity spreads through internodal pathway and through interatrial myocardial band to left
atrium. Then goes to AV node, bundle of His and to purkinje fibers.
- Velocity is fastest in Purkinje Fibers, slowest in SA node and AV node.
- AV would beat 40-60 bpm, purkinje would discharge at 15-40 bpm while the normal rate of SA
node is 90 bpm.
- Muscle fibers. Depolarization – opens fast Na+
channels
- Rapid Repolarization – fast Na+ channels close,
but Cl- opens and K+ starts leaking out
- Plateau phase – K+ keeps leaking out, Ca++
enters
- Restoration: Ca++ close and K+ continues
- Resting potential: -90 mV

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
- 70% venous system, 15% heart and lungs, 10% arterial system, 5% Capillary Exchange - Blood to individual muscles can increase as much as 20-fold. Mitral Valve – Left heart, between the atrium and ventricle. Aortic Valve – Left heart Tricuspid Valve – Right heart Pulmonary Valve – Right heart - Mitral and tricuspid are referred to as the antriventricular valves while the aortic and pulmany valves are often referred to as the semilunar valves. Two types of cells in the heart: (1) Atrial and ventricular muscle fibers a. Rhythmicity (Self-excitability) (2) Specialized excitatory and conductive cells. a. Rapid conduction b. T-tubules are larger and run along Z-dics and are fewer c. Large amounts of mitochondria d. Capable of extracting 80% of oxygen from blood e. In syncytium i. Atrial syncytium and ventricular syncitium. Seperated by fibrous tissue called the atrioventricular ring. - 72 beats/min in vivo. Originated at SA node. Great sodium and calcium permeability. Potassium declines during diastole while the permeability for other ions does not change. Do not have a stable RMP. - Prepotential: Na+ goes through funny channels and Ca++ through T-type channels. - Depolarization: slow L-type channels - Repolarization: Calcium channels closing and potassium opening. - Rate can be altered by changing the slope of the prepotential or the ‘resting’ mp. - SA node activity spreads through internodal pathway and through interatrial myocardial band to left atrium. Then goes to AV node, bundle of His and to purkinje fibers. - Velocity is fastest in Purkinje Fibers, slowest in SA node and AV node. - AV would beat 40-60 bpm, purkinje would discharge at 15-40 bpm while the normal rate of SA node is 90 bpm. - Muscle fibers. Depolarization – opens fast Na+ channels - Rapid Repolarization – fast Na+ channels close, but Cl- opens and K+ starts leaking out - Plateau phase – K+ keeps leaking out, Ca++ enters - Restoration: Ca++ close and K+ continues - Resting potential: -90 mV - Calcium enters sarcoplasm by: (1) DHPR/Ca++ channels (2) Na/Ca++ exchanger (3) ryanodine/Ca channel on SR (4) Ca-induced-Ca release from SR. Levels increase 1000x. Most comes from SR but extracellular is still essential. - Relaxation: (1) Ca-ATPase pumps on SR membrane (80%) (2) Ca pump on SL (3) Na-Ca exchanger (15%) o Lasts 250-200 milliseconds. Absolutely refractory during most of the action potential. So no tetanus type contraction. - Electrocardiogram is the sum of all the electrical events in the heart P-wave – Depolarization of Atria QRS – depolarization of ventricles T-wave – repolarization of ventricles U-wave – repolarization of papillary muscles - As heart rate increases the PR interval decreases Cardiac Cycle Atrial systole – P wave. Atrial pressure is greater than ventricular pressure so AV valves are open and the ventricles fill (last 30%). This is the EDV Isovolumetric contraction – QRS complex represents the depolarization of the ventricles and they start conctracting. Ventricular pressure exceeds atrial pressure so AV valves close. Ejection Period – ventricles cont
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit