Psychology
Course
Psychology 1000
Professor
Dr.Mike
Semester
Winter

Description
Attraction February, 14, 2013  Next Time: Media Violence  Scan: page 532 – 537  Agenda: o Mere Exposure o Emotional State o Physical Attractiveness o Love  Question: o What factors facilitate interaction? o How important is physical attractiveness? o How do I decide who to date?  Ainsworth o Securely attached -> 67% o Resistant o Avoidant o Predictive?  Freud o 5 Psychosexual states  Finish at 11 years old  Erikson o 8 Psychosocial stages  Last until one dies  Levinson o Life crises (22 and 45) o No evidence, people question but not specific at those times  Attraction o Propinquity  Physical Proximity  Increase chance that 2 people will come into contact  Bossard (1932)  50% of brides and grooms lived within 20 blocks prior to marriage; 30% within 5 blocks  Festinger et al. (1950)  Military base study o He randomly assigned people into new apartments and asked them how they feel about people at the end of one year o The closer they lived, the more they liked each other  Ease of interaction important… side by side vs. different rows  Face to face and side by side is better than back to back  If we can talk, the attraction is more than no talk (communication is key) o Face to face > side by side > back o Mere Exposure  “for mayor… the honorable Pulvapies”  The more media exposure one have, the more attraction one will get  Zajonc (1968, 1970)  Repeated exposure enhances attraction  One you see someone, more you’ll like them  Moreland and Zajonc (1982)  Measure exposure  Showing subjects pictures, one group is shown to same pictures for 4 weeks, and the other group different pictures for 4 weeks  The repeated exposure of same pictures showed an increase in attraction  While the other group is just like a flat line  Very robust effect  But…  The initial reaction “must” be neutral or mildly positive  If initial reaction is negative repeated exposure results in decreased liking  If familiarity results in liking, do we prefer familiar stimuli?  Mita, Dermer and Knight (1977)  Normal vs. mirror-image photos o The subject shows up with a friend o They took photos of normal and mirror reversed o The person likes the mirror reversed and the friend likes the normal picture  Grush et al. (1978)  Real elections? o The more media exposure the one person has, the more votes one get o Emotional State  Schaefer visits bars  He went to bars, listened to what music they listen to and their emotions  Can “music” influence attraction? o Yes.  Remember… reinforcement affect model  Influenced by initial impression? o Yes, it drives a lot of attraction  Made in less than 20seconds (most of the time 10seconds)  Opening lines: Kleinke et al. (1986)  Most preferred: o General: Hi o Bar: do you want to dance? o Restaurant: I haven’t been here before. What’s good? o Laundromat: want to have a beer or a coffee while waiting?  Least preferred: o General: your place or mine? o Bar: bet I can outdrink you o Rest
More Less

Related notes for Psychology 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit