Psych lecture 11 October 17 2013
• Central tendency
• How do stats help us understand data?
• How do you calculate measures of central tendency (have to calculate on exam)
• What does the variance mean?
Next time: Review chapters 1-4 + appendix
Next Week: Sensation (158-166)
• The numbers given out in statists are called “distribution”
• Frequency distribution tells us how many people get a particular score
To find the mean: add up all the numbers and divide by the amount there are.
To find the median (MDN): midpoint of a ranked distribution
To find the mode: the number that appears the most often
The Range is the difference between the highest and lowest score
• This can be influenced by extreme scores (outliers)