Wednesday September 19, 2012
- Theory template – science – enlightenment- (emphasize relationship between reason and
rationality- romantic conservative reaction- Hegel.
- Hegel tried to make sense of the previous theories, he failed
- Social theorists have to think in a certain way in order to do social theory- this template is about
how social theorists think
- Deep structure of thought- ways our mind work that were not always aware of- how social
- Moral awareness is based on mathematics
- Questions social theorists deal with:
- 1. What is society? Has to be something holding society together. Institution- organization
integrated by values. Society is a coordinated system of institutions. How is it coordinated?
Structurally and culturally- sharing of dominate values towards the whole system:
- Answers: organicism: society is like a organic phenomena integrated by different parts and inter-
relationships. If you are in the organic model because you are a product.
- Atomism- thinks about society as an organism (like organicist) with one difference: concerned
with the role of the individual. Individual is a product of the social.. Sometimes under certain
circumstances the individual has psychologically separated themselves from the social in order
to evaluate it or critic it. They think you can be something other than a product. Human mind is
capable of stepping outside its role in order to critique its role. Atomist wants to understand
what is going on with reflexivity- takes the form of a moral object, a critique- we don’t push
ourselves out until we are angry about something. E.g cultural relativism- what is moral.
Organicist is not going to see a difference between morals and conforming- following morals
and norms is conforming to the norms. Atomist is saying that morality is not conformity.
Morality only exists whe