BIOL 3200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Lamarckism, Comparative Anatomy

29 views3 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

When catastrophes killed off animals in an area, cuvier said the area would later be invaded by new animals from another place, and they would eventually be fossilized after a mass extinction. This explains the changes in fossil records for a particular area. You could have fossils from one species, and fossils from a newer species that took over the area after a catastrophic event. Flaw: all these catastrophes that took place should have caused a decrease in species, but # of species actually increased. To a(cid:272)(cid:272)ou(cid:374)t for i(cid:374)(cid:272)rease i(cid:374) spe(cid:272)ies, cu(cid:448)ier"s follo(cid:449)ers said that after ea(cid:272)h geological catastrophe, there were many divine creations, creating new species. Cuvier and geoffroy had two opposing approaches to comparative anatomy. Every part of an animal was designed by the creator to perform a specific function. O, the a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s (cid:374)eeds/fu(cid:374)(cid:272)tio(cid:374)s determined its structure. Geoffroy came up with transcendental anatomy or philosophical anatomy.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers