HIST 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Fukuzawa Yukichi, Meiji Restoration, Columbia University Press

13 views3 pages

Document Summary

I am willing to admit my pride in this accomplishment for japan. The facts are these: it was not until 1853 that we began to study navigation from the dutch in nagasaki; by 1860, the science was sufficiently understood to enable us to sail across the pacific. This means that about seven years after the first sight of a steamship, after only about five years of practice, the japanese people made a trans-pacific crossing without help from foreign experts. I think we can without undue pride boast before the world of this courage and skill. Elichi kiyowka, the autobiography of yukichi fukuzawa (new york: columbia university. Press 1966): the race to empire in asia & pacific, by 1900, japan is one of few non-western powers not to fall under colonial rule in. Asia/pacific: both japan and us set sights on hegemony in the region, meiji era. Insufficient supply of raw materials necessary for sustained industrial expansion.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers