HIST 1095 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Jonathan Raban, Psychophysiology, Signify

52 views5 pages

Document Summary

Readings: the soft city" and the city as melodrama" (coursekit) Introduction: three concepts : the city as contradiction! Any interpretation or representation of the city: concept 3: the city is a space for performance: the intrinsic theatricality" of city life! St. etienne, action" (2002): http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=_cdikf5buma, st etienne, action", from finisterre (2002), god i love london so much. This video makes me warm inside. : scares me a bit! Life seems so prede ned in london! and cold and lonely! this video gives me this impression. ! Sanitation reform and social reform : sanitation reform critical for the functioning of the city, but also allows the surveillance of the city by government: sanitation inspectors, social reform: the mapping of the city"! Transport: bringing people together, creating a world of strangers, the city as text, raban, pp. 15-16: the city, our great modern form, is soft, amenable to a dazzling and libidinous variety of lives, dreams, interpretations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers