HREQ 3010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Mothers Against Drunk Driving, Larry Diamond, Liberal Democracy

50 views5 pages

Document Summary

This can apply to government itself but also institutions and organizations york university is democratic: question of democracy. Athenian democracy, for example, was based on all active citizens being involved in approving and implementing legislation and rules. This means that all citizens were present in the approval of all laws. Also, citizens were to be part of the system of government through direct forms of service. This could mean that representatives and magistrates where made up of all citizens. Sometimes this meant that government officials were chosen by lot. When people are actively involved in all of the implementations of the laws in a society. I(cid:374) ca(cid:374)ada (cid:449)e do(cid:374)"t li(cid:448)e i(cid:374) a dire(cid:272)t de(cid:373)o(cid:272)ra(cid:272)y (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause (cid:449)e are (cid:374)ot sitti(cid:374)g i(cid:374) o(cid:374) meetings of parliament. Literally, in ancient athens, this was a society of face-to-face interaction. Elections are a form of representative democracy. People are proposed by the government and people have a yes/no response to it.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers