ITEC 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Interrupt Handler, Device Driver, Multiprocessing

23 views3 pages

Document Summary

Determined primarily by ability of i/o operations to stay ahead of processor. A way for peripheral devices to initiate communication with the cpu. Efficient means of transferring data directly between i/o and memory for large data transfers. Buses that interconnect high-speed i/o devices with the computer must support high data. Capability of handling devices operating at varying speeds with varying delays. Means for handling devices with extremely different control requirements. Incompatibilities in speed between the devices and the cpu that make synchronization. Device control requirement that would tie up too much cpu time. Method for transferring data between main memory and a device that bypasses cpu. Each instruction produces a single input or output. Signal that causes the cpu to alter its normal flow of instruction execution. One or more special control lines to the cpu. Also known as an interrupt routine or device driver. Saved registers of a program before control is transferred to the interrupt handler.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers