Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1100
Professor
David Stamos
Semester
Winter

Description
Stamos - existentialism as a response to nihilism - key features: subjective outlook, the universe is absurd, atheism (sometimes fideism), our lives are fundamentally meaningless, free will, we are free to choose our meaning (otherwise, bad faith), there is no human nature - evidence of an instinctual need to find the meaning of life (or of our lives) - ubiquity of the question; evidence of purpose on the brain; small children; tragedies; Viktor Frankl (existential frustration, existential vacuum, logotherapy) - proximate cause vs. ultimate cause - our evolution in two environments: (i) natural and (ii) social - binding relations: (i) environmental knowledge and (ii) group cohesion (including love sympathy, empathy, kin altruism, reciprocal altruism, fairness, in-group/out-group distinction) - but where does art fit in? - evidence of finding meaning in (ii) plenty of extreme examples - Gandhi, Schweitzer, M Theresa, MLK Jr, Dian Fossey - evidence of finding meaning in (ii) plenty of extreme ex
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit