The Environment and Human Health
- The Western Enlightenment Project compels humans to engage
in the scientific Domination of Nature. The biblical God also
commands humans to: "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth,
and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the
sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."
The Domination of Nature theme sees “nature” as both “threat”
and as “resource” that needs to be conquered in order for
humans to prosper. Humans are not seen as a part of ecological
nature, nor is the human body seen as part of the environment.
- How do power relations fit into environmental concerns?
- the “dialectic of development and destruction” inherent in
consumer capitalist society
- Does the definition of “society” include the ecological
“environment” or just people?
- Some problems: global climate disruption (not just warming),
from high levels of carbon dioxide due to industrial emissions
and methane gas from livestock farming, draughts, oxygen
depletion causing dead zones in lakes and oceans, fracking and
groundwater contamination, toxic waters, acidified oceans, ozone
smog and depletion, species extinction - animal genocide, over-
fishing, oil spills from ships and pipelines, toxic waste dumps and
chemical spills on land and sea, plastic waste on land and in