SOSC 1430 (122)

Globalization From Below Lecture 1/2

3 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Social Science
SOSC 1430
Eduardo Canel

GLOBALIZATION FROM BELOW - it is possible to reshape globalization, a global system under different values - grassroots corporations address that it is certainly tough, but not impossible to achieve a new world - globalization is not a finished process, it is a tendency - globalization from below: unified, diverse, embryonic in some cases, and sometimes contradictory in its process. - globalization from below: an effort to link grassroots movements and organizations - Some movements started 20-30 years ago, called “runaway plans”, i.e. factories that moved to Mexico because of the opening/opportunities of free trade - Globalization from above always had a transnational movements, GFB had local movement - i.e. indigenous movements: no longer restricted to politics within the nation, but started to develop transnational networks and linking indigenous peoples’ around the globe - human rights campaigns, development issues have been a discourse of human right issues (i.e. right to water a human right, against privatization) - rural residents/peasants as significant transnational actors, contrary to past beliefs that they were opposite) - i.e. Via Campasina was an alternative development program for the production of foodfood sovereignty - for assignment q2: HAVE TO BE GRASSROOT, SOMEHOW ORGANIZE TRANSNATIONALLY, HAVE TO HAVE IN SOMEWAY TO RESPOND TO NEOLIBERAL GLOBALIZATION - GFA-GFB What they have in common: address questions related to neo- liberalism - Resistance comes from below, but solidarity is an important concept for both - GFB/GFA: double dimension: 1. Reactive dimension (what the movement opposes - GFB sometimes referred as “anti-globalization” reactive dimension, not looking at proactive; but most movements have anti-dimension (to drive, unite people) - 2. Proactive dimension: emphasis on negativity of the movement - for a movement to move forward, it just move from opposing to proposing; resistance is not enough - movements must shift attention, issues of a national character to issues defined as global, and sometimes recasting what were scene as national issues into global issues these have been done successfully by the movements - Also, use ideologies of neoliberal globalization against them - Unlike other movements in past, transnational movements are better und
More Less

Related notes for SOSC 1430

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.