BIOL2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Ferredoxin, Plastoquinone, Thylakoid

32 views4 pages
28 Oct 2015
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Photosynthesis is a redox reaction: carbon dioxide + water --> carbohydrates + oxygen. Electron donor & reducing agent: water: energy: sun light, photosynthetic electron transport chain. Movement of electrons through this transport chain is used to drive the synthesis of atp and nadph iii. Atp and nadph are energy sources needed to synthesize carbohydrates using co2 in the calvin cycle. The evolutionary history of photosynthesis includes both horizontal gene: photosynthetic organisms with a single photosystem must use more easily oxidized compounds, such as h2s, as electron donors i. Do not produce oxygen: all the oxygen in the atmosphere results from photosynthesis by organisms containing two photosystems: cyanobacteria, horizontal gene transfer: transfer of genetic material between organisms that are not parent and offspring. The photosynthetic electron transport chain takes place on specialized: chloroplasts. Lumen: a fluid-filled compartment enclosed by thylakoid membrane. Stroma: region surrounding the thylakoid membrane i. ii. i. ii. i. ii. i. ii. i. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers