Boston College (3,500)
HONR 1101 (27)
All (26)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Honors Program
HONR 1101

Emily McClure Exodus/Deuteronomy The relationship between Moses and God continues to grow deeper throughout Moses’entire journey with Him, until the day that he dies on Mount Nebo looking over the land of Canaan. It is evident in both Exodus and Deuteronomy that they rely on a relationship built on trust and loyalty to one another. It is not a typical God-mortal relationship in the way that the god is authoritative and the human is submissive and obedient. While Moses is obedient to God, he is far from a meek servant. Instead, we see that Moses is a valuable companion and deferential aide to God. This is visible in both Exodus and Deuteronomy. Not only is he an important intermediary for the Israelites to God, but God himself also needs Moses to be His intermediary to the people. In the last couple chapters of Exodus, we observe communication between God and His prophet Moses, and Moses even offers advice and reminders to God multiple times. This is an extremely pivotal and important part in the story of Moses because it exemplifies the growth of his relationship with God since the beginning. When God first forms a relationship with Moses (in the beginning of Exodus), Moses is more apprehensive of God, and Moses is on more of a subordinate level in their relationship. However, by the end of Exodus, after God has led Moses and the Israelites out of Egypt, their relationship has grown in such a way that Moses and God are able to reason with one another and value each other’s thoughts on essentially the same level. For example, when God and Moses are meeting on Mount Sinai, God sees thatAaron and the Israelites have made a golden calf and are worshipping fake gods. Upon seeing this, He tells Moses, “Let me alone, then, that my anger may burn against them to consume them. Then I will make of you a great nation” (Exodus 31:10). Caught up in anger, God wants to smite all of the Israelites and start over with Moses. Here we see the development of their relationship when Moses then appeals to God not to do so. Moses reasons with God justly and rationally: “But Moses implored the Lord, his God, saying, ‘Why, O Lord, should you anger burn against you people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power a
More Less

Related notes for HONR 1101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.