SOCY1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Concerted Cultivation, Carbon Footprint, Mcdonaldization

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Looking at the university as a consumer culture all sports team sponsored by. Under armor; our activities in the dining hall also demonstrate consumerism. Rising affluence graph showing the rise of spending since the 1960s. I: with the 1960s came the beginning of consumer credit (you could spend more than you made) Financial crisis discussion of the cycle of consumerism. What drives consumer behavior: longstanding question, with numerous answers a. i. Wealth destruction-purpose is that people feel so insecure that they spend their money out of proportion (not seen as a learned behavior: some say human nature b. i. Children"s toys, etc. used to be really cheap, but today"s children"s brands are much more upscale (i. e. luxury clothing brands or electronics) b. i. 2. Kids respond to this by making material items more essential to their identity concerted buying (like concerted cultivation) b. i. 3. Age compression marketing is being targeted towards a younger audience b. i. 4.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers