CAS BI 525 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Neurodegeneration, Hypokinesia, Progressive Disease

30 views3 pages

Document Summary

Class notes for bi525/ne525: lecture 6: parkinson"s disease (part 1: sad news, no cure yet a. i. Cure: something that can alter the status of the disease, revert the disease a. ii. We cannot revert these diseases because neuronal loss through neurodegeneration. a. iii. Most of the therapies are based on 2 goals: a. iii. 1. Slow down the progression (target the molecules involved in the disease) a. iii. 2. This could be due to differences in diagnosis between developed and undeveloped countries e. i. 19 september: difficulties in speech, diagnosis of pd, 2 symptoms qualify patient for pd, only reliable diagnosis is post-mortem c. L-dopa is a reliable indication of pd and pet is used for visualization. c. i. Let"s us know the degree of neurodegeneration and therefore the stage of. This is a consequence of the oxidation of dopamine. a. ii. Dopamine is easily oxidized, it is a catecholamine a. ii. 1. Could lead to mitochondrial dysfunction due to oxidative stress b.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers