HSC 343 Lecture Notes - Lecture 18: Sour Patch Kids, Twizzlers, Construction Paper
23 views4 pages
Strand #4: Social and Emotional Health
Lesson Name: Be My Friend
Grade Level: 3rd Duration: 10-15 minutes Name: Olivia Pandola
+ Kaylie Lewkowski
● Standard 7: Social Skills
● Benchmark 4.9: Demonstrate
strategies for keeping positive
● Standard 2
● 2.5.3 Identify how peers can influence
healthy and unhealthy behaviors.
Student Friendly Objective:
● I can identify the different characteristics of a good friend and a bad friend.
● I will be able to share what it takes to be a good friend to others.
● I can explain why being a good friend is important.
Vocabulary: Important to define
● Friendship: the action of being friends with someone else
● Qualities: the feature or characteristic of something
● Qualities of a good friend: kindness, trustworthy, caring, loving (answers will vary depending
on class participation)
● Qualities of a bad friend: selfish, mean, rough, hurtful (answers will vary depending on class
● Students will be able to differentiate between a good and a bad friend by learning the
attributes of each so that they are able to apply this to future friendships.
● Dry-erase marker
● 22 paper bowls
● 5 mason jars
● Gummy bears
● Sour patch kids
● Mini marshmallows
● 8 pieces of construction paper
(color does not matter)
● 22 sheets of “Good Apple” backup-
● 22 popsicle sticks
● We will mention that we need 8 volunteers
for our main activity-- and if we can’t get
those numbers, we’re just going to pick
randomly from the roster!
● Pull up the Youtube video “BAD APPLE - A
Tale of Friendship by Edward Hemingway”
and skip to 0:17 seconds.
● Have 5 cleaned jars filled with gummy
bears, Sour Patch Kids, Skittles, Twizzlers,
and Starbursts in each at the front of the
● Layout popcorn bag, pretzel bag, and mini
marshmallows next to the 5 cans at the
front of the room.
● Have 8 pieces of construction paper cut to
fit the size of cans and bags to be written
● Write on the whiteboard with the dry-
erase marker “Good Friend Qualities.”