SPH-T 333 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Situational Leadership Theory, Takers

56 views3 pages
18 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Leadership
Management: The process of working with and through individuals and groups and other resources
(such as equipment, capital, and technology) to accomplish organizational goals
Functions
Planning
Staffing
Organizing
Directing
Controlling and Evaluating
Leadership: Influencing people to work individually or collectively toward the achievement of a goal
People do’t eed to e i the role of aager to e a leader
Managers are focused on efficiency and doing things right; Leaders are concerned with effectiveness
and doing the right things
Leadership Theories
Trait Approach (Popular in the 50s and 60s)
Good leaders are born, not made
Traits that are associated with good leadership: Active and Energetic; High SES; Superior
judgment; Aggressive and Assertive; Being above average height; Well educated; Speaks well
(Stoadill, 1974)
Style/Behavioral Approach
After the trait approach, leadership research moved toward focusing on the styles or behaviors
of leaders. This focus came during the growth of human relations
The Ohio State Studies:
LBDQ
Examples:
I act as the spokesman of the group
I make accurate descriptions
I get along well with people above me
I am very skillful in an argument
I become anxious when waiting for new developments
I back down when I ought to stand firm
Suordiates oeptualized their leader’s ehaior as ourrig priarily alog to
dimensions: The extent to which the leader exhibits consideration and the initiating
structure
Consideration camaraderie, mutual trust, liking, respect in the relationship
between the leader and the followers
Initiating structure is the work structured to meet the goals?
Job descriptions
Performance standards
Deadlines
Criticisms of the Ohio State Studies: validity questions, inconsistent or insignificant
results, situational factors not considered, etc.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Management: the process of working with and through individuals and groups and other resources (such as equipment, capital, and technology) to accomplish organizational goals. People do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed to (cid:271)e i(cid:374) the role of (cid:373)a(cid:374)ager to (cid:271)e a leader. Leadership: influencing people to work individually or collectively toward the achievement of a goal. Managers are focused on efficiency and doing things right; leaders are concerned with effectiveness and doing the right things. Trait approach (popular in the 50s and 60s) Traits that are associated with good leadership: active and energetic; high ses; superior judgment; aggressive and assertive; being above average height; well educated; speaks well (stoadill, 1974) After the trait approach, leadership research moved toward focusing on the styles or behaviors of leaders. This focus came during the growth of human relations. I act as the spokesman of the group. I get along well with people above me. I become anxious when waiting for new developments.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers