Anthropology ANTH-A 104 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Pastoralism, Industrial Revolution, Exogamy

33 views4 pages

Document Summary

23:39: subsistence strategies, foraging (hunting and gathering) a. i. Follow game in territory: horticulture (extensive cultivation) using small amounts of land b. i. The material and labor investment in land becomes substantial: industrialism e. i. Exchange of goods of nearly equal value: generalized b. i. Descent group membership based on links through either the maternal or the paternal line but not both a. ii. Any system of descent in which both father"s and mother"s lineages have equal claim to the individual: exogamy and endogamy, exogamy a. i. A rule specifying that a person must marry outside a particular group: endogamy b. i. Marriage within the clan: monogamy, polyandry, and polygyny, monogamy a. i. A rule that permits a person to be married to only one spouse at a time: polyandry b. i. A rule permitting a woman to have more than one husband at a time: polygyny c. i. A rule permitting a man to have more than one wife at a time.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers