RLT 48500 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Immanuel Kant, Co-Premise, Deontological Ethics

24 views2 pages

Document Summary

The irst two approaches address the question of how we ought to act, the third approach responds to the question of what kind of person we should be. Historically, philosophers have disagreed about what the basic question of ethics is. How ought i to act? (act oriented approaches: by following rules and thus doing our duty. (deontology, on the basis of consequences. (consequentialism) What kind of person ought i to try to be: develop character and virtues. Deontology the theory of duty or moral obligation. What one is compelled to do by reason of duty . The most famous deontological theory was advanced by the german philosopher immanuel kant. Imperative: any proposition that declares a certain action or inaction to be necessary. Hypothetical imperative: compels action in a given circumstance. If i wish to satisfy my thirst, then i must drink something . Denotes an absolute, unconditional requirement that exerts its authority in all circumstances.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers