CM-UY 1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Molar Mass, Substance P, Kinetic Theory Of Gases

68 views5 pages
25 Aug 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Ideal gas equation: pv=nrt, to use the ideal gas equation substitute grams/molar mass for n(the number of moles) and solve for d=grams/liter b. i. Combined volume of molecules cannot be neglected at low pressure: deviation from ideal behavior increases as temperature decreases b. i. Chapter 11: liquids and intermolecular forces: molecular comparison of gases, liquids and solids, gases a. i. Neglect the interactions between molecules according to the kinetic molecular theory: liquids (a condensed phase) b. i. Intermolecular attractive force are strong enough to keep particles together b. ii. Not strong enough to keep particles from moving past each other: solids (a condensed phase) c. i. Intermolecular attractive forces are strong enough to hold particles together c. ii. Cannot undergo long range movement: the state of a substance depends on the balance between kinetic energy of the particles and the interparticle energies of attraction, kinetic energies depend on temperature and keep particles apart b.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers