History
Course
HIST 020
Professor
D R.D O U G L A S M I C H A E L C H A R L E S
Semester
Fall

Description
History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . The Salem Witch Episode I. Strains on Puritan life, late 1600’s A. Dissidents leaving with supporters B. Puritan Revolution in England C. New economics/politics in New England 1. 1691 Massachusetts became a Royal Colony i. Puritan control in England is diminishing a. They are now forced to be tolerant of outsiders and other religious groups b. The right to vote changes 1. Requirement used to be church membership (saints) 2. Changed requirement to male landowners th II. Witchcraft in the 17 century A. Was seen as Devil worship or exercising the powers of Satan B. Statistics 1. 234 people were accused of being witches in all of New England i. Of those 234, 93 were outside Salem a. Of those 93, 16 were executed ii. Of those 234, 141 were in Salem a. Of those 141, 19 were executed (54% of accused) 2. 95% of all legal proceeding concerning witchcraft occurred in New England C. Belief in the supernatural 1. Believed spirits caused harm and misfortune D. The only way for an accused party to escape death, was to admit to being a witch ~ 1 ~ History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . 1. After they admitted to being a witch, they had to rat out all the other witches III. Salem & Witchcraft (1692) A. Salem case was unique 1. High intensity 2. Most likely caused by the many changes occurring in MA in late 1600’s i. Political change ii. Economic change iii. Social change iv. Religious change B. Facts of the Salem episode 1. Adolescent girls i. Began shouting, screaming, twisting, groveling, barking, shrieking, and contorting for no apparent reason ii. Parents call in the village doctors a. Diagnoses the girls as being bewitched iii. When asked who bewitched them, the girls pointed to Tituba and accused her of being a witch 2. Tituba i. West Indian indentured servant ii. Practiced voodoo (religion) and shared stories with the girls explaining her religion (was considered a witch doctor) 3. Widespread panic i. The situation is taken to court a. Tituba and two white women are brought in for questioning b. Girls preform in front everyone c. Tituba confesses to being a which ~ 2 ~ History 20 Dr. Charles Date: / / . ii. The girls continue to accu
More Less

Related notes for HIST 020

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit