Anatomy Lecture Notes On Sept 19

3 Pages
Unlock Document

San Jose State University
Biological Sciences
BIOL 065
Dr.Joanne Kerr

Digestive System Glands: Salivary Glands, Pancreas, Liver and Gall Bladder 1. Salivary Glands a. produce saliva b. 3 Pairs of salivary glands: i. Parotid 1. large, in front of ears, can see inside the mouth ii. Submandibular 1. below jaw and side of the neck iii. Sublingual 1. glands under tongue, has many ducts c. Function i. helps mouth moist ii. moisten food when eating iii. help teeth stay clean iv. neutralize acids in food we eat v. begins starch digestion vi. Can absorb tobacco tar in the mouth d. Pathologies i. Mumps 1. very contagious 2. Adult men can be affected in the testicles and could become sterile 3. viral infection 4. located in the parotid glands 5. makes the parotids grow big = swollen cheeks ii. Tumors 1. 2/3 are not cancer 2. must be removed 3. has a lot of lymph nodes in neck = must remove tumor FAST! 4. 1/3 of the time is cancer. Not common. iii. Stones in Ducts 1. saliva can form stones and crystallized 2. Salivary stones 3. clog up the duct = painful 4. one cheek gets swollen and tender e. Pancreas i. behind intestines, stomach, and other organs ii. very "shy" organ iii. about 6 inches long iv. Components 1. Head (upper right, surrounded by doedum, C-Shaped) 2. Body (extends across abdominal area, lumpy shaped) 3. Tail (narrow, comes contact with spleen) v. Ducts with Sphincters: 1. Main Pancreatic Duct a. enters deodeum b. everyone has this duct c. Some people have two ducts 2. Acessary Pancreatic Duct (not everyone has this duct) 3. Common Bile Duct a. cystic and liver ducts b. opens at ampeulla of vater vi. Exocrine and Endocrine Components vii. Pathologies of the Pancreas: 1. Diabetes Mellitus 2. Pancreatitis a. inflammation of pancreas b. abdominal area hurts everywhere c. can react to medicine and make pancreatitis d. diff
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 065

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.